Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Altruism

I once read an article about altruism being the most important trait you can teach to your children. I think I read that article before I had Reid, and I felt compelled to make a promise to myself to remember this sentiment. Now, I feel just as strongly, if not more strongly, that I want Reid to grow up to be an altruistic child and man - no matter what cards he is dealt (good or bad). However, I am also more aware of the real-life complexities that pop up and get in the way of altruism. For example, toddlers aren't great at sharing, and I'm not really sure when he can fully grasp the concept of altruism. Also, life is busy and it is hard to find time to expose Reid to volunteering and helping others as much as I had hoped. Before Reid was born, Andy and I were pretty involved in the life of our little brother (BBBS), for example, and it has become increasingly more difficult to spend time with him since having Reid (plus, other concerns have popped up). Yet, the best way for Reid to learn about the importance of helping others is, in my opinion, to show him. Luckily, I have some very giving and thoughtful people in my life that serve as wonderful examples for Reid. One of them is my niece, Ellison. At 9 years old, she really impresses me with her care and sensitivity towards others. Recently, I took her to Panera to pick a name off the Angel Tree. She found two names that she was drawn to, and I agreed to get presents for these two girls. I spent about ten minutes on Amazon buying presents for these girls - a nice sentiment but one that required very little effort. About a week or so later, I invited Ellison to return to Panera to drop off the gifts and a card, if she liked. I expected a quick doodle with a generic message, if anything, but she showed up at my house with two craft kits and grand ideas. After quite a long, extended breakfast at Panera, with Ellison and Reid crafting the whole time while Andy and I ate two (!) breakfasts, we were finally able to bundle up the gifts and homemade cards for the two unknown girls. Ellison put so much thought in to both cards, and I am sure that the two little girls will be happy to receive personal messages from their unknown friend. And I am happy that Reid sat at the "craft table" with Ellison for over an hour (maybe two?) and may one day look back at pictures and understand the importance of doing nice things for others that are genuine and full of love.







1 comment:

  1. Awe, love this post. I think you and Andy are doing excellent so far!

    ReplyDelete